One thing I have learnt over my years of travelling, less is more when it comes to hand luggage. Yes, you need the essentials like your Passport when going international (kind of important), but don’t be that person carrying 10kg of unnecessary hand luggage through the terminal.
On that note, below is 10 essential items I always take on board with me when fleeing the country.
No explanation needed for why I have included this (if you do need one, try smelling someones breath after a long-haul flight). Most airlines give you a complimentary toothbrush and paste these days, but always handy to have one on you just incase. If you don’t fancy packing a toothbrush, some extra strong mints or mouth wash strips will do the trick.
While airline food has improved throughout the years, the snacks available on board aren’t exactly the best for you. Pack some nuts or protein bars, and you will feel a lot better than snacking on Pringles and chocolate.
The amount of times I have sat on a plane and realised I’ve forgotten to buy a packet of gum before take off. If you are prone to your ears blocking on take off and landing, the motion of chewing encourages swallowing, which allows the eustacian tube to open and release air pressure.
Very important to stay hydrated when flying, and most long haul flights have water taps on board. Make sure the bottle is empty, as a lot of security checks will not let you through with any bottle with liquid in it.
We all carry headphones with us these days, but a good tip is to also use them for the inflight entertainment. Headphones available on board are not always the best, using your own increases the quality of sound and is a lot more comfortable.
CHANGE OF CLOTHES
There is nothing worse than getting off a flight only to discover your luggage didn’t make it to the other end. Having a change of clothes will save you the stress if that happens, and its also great if you want to freshen up halfway through the flight.
Being on a plane is one of the few times where you have no choice but to switch off from the world of social media. if you are like me, i would rather spend hours on YouTube than reading a book, but during a flight is the perfect time to get your brain working and read a book likes it 1995. Or, read a travel book on the country you are about to have adventures in.
If you want to get some sort of “sleep” on a plane, earplugs are essential. Also great if you want to cancel out all the noise around you and get some quiet time.
This is actually the most essential item you could bring with you. How many times have you gone to fill out an immigration form to realise you didn’t pack a pen. You don’t want to be that person frantically filling in forms at the crowded booths at passport control.
BACK UP BATTERY
Nothing worse than your phone going flat before you land. How would you order a Uber? Buy yourself a back up battery charger for on the go, they come in very handy and saves you from fighting over power points at the airport.
SHOP THE FLATLAY
- Abercrombie & Fitch Mens T-Shirt – https://www.abercrombie.com/shop/wd/mens-tees-and-henleys-tops/striped-crew-tee-9082235_01?ofp=true
- Superdry Drink Bottle – https://www.superdry.com.au/mens/other-accessories/details/65040/steel-sports-bottle-navy
- Thankyou Nut Bar – https://thankyou.co/food
- Soundlogic XT Portable Charger – https://www.amazon.com/SoundLogic-Neon-5600-Power-Charger/dp/B00JC6BGJW
- Top 10 Los Angeles – https://www.amazon.co.uk/DK-Eyewitness-Top-Travel-Guide/dp/1409326403
- Centrum Men Multivitamin – https://www.evitamins.com/au/centrum/mens-multi-vitamin
- Brush Better Toothbrush – https://www.brushbetter.com.au/products/blazing-blue
- Superdry Leather Passport Holder – https://www.superdry.com/mens/other-accessories/details/36121/passport-holder-black
- Longchamp Travel Bag – http://en.longchamp.com/en/luggage/boxford/travel-bags-1223080?sku=2871